Thursday, February 19, 2009

Building selection and Justification:




I chose the Johnson Wax Building, also known as the Administration Building. Construction began in 1936 and ended in 1939, until the Research Tower was added in 1944. This building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Racine, Wisconsin. It is located in a suburban area, which usually experiences a warm summer and a snowy, cold winter.

I chose the Johnson Wax Building first and foremost because it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright’s buildings are very popular, and a staple of twentieth century design, however I don’t know much about Wright’s designs and would like to learn more about his take on architecture. While I do know that I won’t always agree with his design styles, I respect Wright for his unorthodox designs.
My analysis of this building may introduce a new perspective, one that may understand the design theory, but won’t always agree with the design elements in the building. This is because I have never seen or read about this particular work of architecture and his buildings have always been of interest to me.





Picture by Prof. Jeffery Howe.
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/FLW_JWax.html

No comments:

Post a Comment